the complete set
I've been experimenting with some making some play food for Thea's kitchen. The first thing I tried was felt cookie dough and cookies, as well as flour and sugar sacks. (original inspiration for this project was found here.)
I was lucky enough to find a massive quantity of burlap at my favorite thrift store for super, super cheap, and ever since, I've been trying to think of creative ways to use it. These sacks were really simple to make. I cut a rectangle of burlap, folded it in half, stitched along the sides, and turned it inside out. I used recycled paper shred to stuff the bags and then used a large needle and some red hemp cord to make long stitches along the top of the bags. The words were stamped on with an alphabet stamp set and some black fabric paint. (To give the lettering an "aged" look, I brushed the paint on the stamps.)
The cookie dough and cookies were made from some oatmeal-colored felt snagged from the remnant bin at my local fabric store. First, I cut two 12 x 12 inch squares from the felt. With both pieces of felt pinned together, I cut some texture into the edges to make it look less like a square and more like rolled out dough. I used a star cookie cutter to trace the cookie shape onto the dough. I then carefully cut through both layers of felt.
After all of the cutting, I machine stitched around the outer edges of the dough. I placed some cotton batting (to give the dough a little thickness) between the two layers of the cookie dough and hand-stitched around the edges of the stars.
To make the sprinkles, I hand-stitched some tiny beads onto the top of one piece of the cut cookie. I think placed a bit of batting between the two layers of cookie (again - to give the cookies a little texture) - and hand-stitched around the edges.
The hand-stitching made the project a little more labor-intensive, but I really like the finished look.
And what a joy it is to see Thea cooking with goodies made by my own hands.