We started decorating for the holidays today, and after seeing Rebekah's sweet wreath, I was inspired to make a little something of my own. I've been very into chevron lately, and I thought it would be fun to try this on a wreath.
Here's how I made it:
straw or styrofoam wreath (mine is covered in burlap, left over from an unfinished project)
felt (I used wool-blend scraps left over from another project a total of about 78" x 9" for this 12 inch wreath)
cardstock for making template
fabric or ribbon for hanging your wreath
First measure around your wreath so you know the width of your felt strips. My wreath measured 8 inches around, so I made my strips 9 inches wide to allow for some overlap.
Next, make your template.
And then I started glueing:
You could also glue down the points in the chevron, though I got lazy and didn't do this all the way around.
Glue all the way around your wreath, making sure the diagonal points in the chevron pattern line up.
My strips were out of alignment on the back side, but I just kept going.
It may look a bit messy and out of alignment when you get back around to the top of the wreath, but don't worry, as this will be covered up by your hanging ribbon.
I took a 3 inch piece of fabric, torn selvedge to selvedge and wrapped it around my wreath to cover the place where I started and stopped gluing the strips, tied a knot and hung it on the wall.
I'm now wishing the strips were a bit closer together, but oh well. I think it just needs a little embellishment - maybe some jingle bells - and then it will be holly jolly.