For Christmas, I made Thea her very own play tent. The tent was inspired by this one over at cakies, though I really ended up following Drea's take on this for my own making: two additional dowels and a back beam for extra support and hand-sewn ties instead of elastic. And, while Rubyellen's plans called for 48-inch dowels, I opted for 36-inch ones instead, keeping the frame a bit more compact for our small home.
With the spade drill bit, I drilled holes at the bottom of each of the main tent boards, as well as a hole at each end of the back support beam. On each side, the extra dowels go through the bottom hole of the front beam, then through the bottom support beam and the back beam of the tent frame.
I drilled the holes about 4" down from the tops of the beams for the main tent frame, and about 2" from the edge at the bottom (for the extra dowels). The holes on each end of the bottom support beam are around 2" from the edge.
I used a sweet vintage sheet for the tent cover (it took about half of the twin sheet's width), and added some additional length to cover the bottom dowels by sewing on a bit of a favorite stripey sheet. I used a happy blue vintage polka-dot fabric for the ties. If anyone is interested in how I made the ties, let me know, and I will take some additional photos. I really just made this up as I went along!
Here's an instagram shot of it on Christmas eve, just after John and I set it up.
Someone likes it very much.
Over the past week, it's been a nice cozy spot for resting, as we've been fighting off some winter germs. Thea even ate Christmas morning breakfast in the tent with her Papa Price!
I hope your new year is off to a good start!